The Kwongs, or All About Amelia and Gabriel Too

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

quick weeknight dinners? anyone?

without all the wonderful delivery options of new york, and with amelia now joining us for every meal, i'm being forced to cook nearly every night. tonight, we had this classic fall meal of butternut squash soup and grilled cheese sandwiches (on homemade bread!):

when i was making the soup, i asked amelia if she wanted to try it. she took one look at the soup, shook her head, waved her hand around, and emphatically said, "no, no, i no like the yellow one." she's never even had the "yellow one" before. luckily she came around to it.

i'm running out of ideas for quick weeknight meals though, and i'm looking for some suggestions. anyone?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all about fast. None of these are exactly fine dining though. So we eat a lot of rice and beans, tacos, pre-made fresh pasta, and quiche. Also we've recently found these pre-made sauces like tikki masala, and all you have to do is add the veggies. Those are super fast too and tasty. Peter is a veggie, so we don't usually do meat, but I'm sure there are a ton of fast meat options too.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Heather Peterson said...

we cook most nights too (though last night I was ready to throw in the towel and eat PB and J!). We grill a lot, even in winter, for quick protein options. We also buy frozen salmon filets from costco- they thaw in the fridge during the day or force-thaw in cold water in about 1 minutes, and cook really quickly stovetop or in the oven. I second the fresh pasta- a brown butter sage sauce is fst and very yummy. In the colder months I'm also a fan of throwing something in the crockpot in the morning (or even assembling the night before and refrigerating overnight) and letting it cook all day.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I often turn to precooked organic chicken sausages. I like to butterfly them and cook them under the broiler until they are golden and a litttle crisp around the edges. My favorite side with this is 1 or 2 red bell peppers cut into slices, a red onion sliced and a can or 2 of cannellini beans all tossed together with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. They take about 20 minutes to roast (stiiring occasionally) under the broiler, I add the sausages to one side of the pan for the last 10 minutes or so. I just made a tasty green chicken curry w. garbanzos in my slow cooker last night. Let me know if you want that recipe (it's totally made up so proceed at your own risk)

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we do quesadillas (same idea, different skin color) with frozen spinach and corn, japanese curry (from the cubes), lots of pasta, soup noodles. have you ever had the roast chickens from costco? they're good for a couple of meals. i often shred the boob for salad or cold noodles.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home